Monday, August 16, 2010

As a parent, how would you advice a teenage girl on boyfriend issues?

I do not have a boyfriend but I do like a guy. I was thinking that if he likes me back, why can't we be boyfriend/ girlfriend. I talked with my mom about it and she said that she does not advice me to have a boy friend. she said '; if you like the boy, let it stay like that; do not get into a relationshiop with him.'; What do you think?As a parent, how would you advice a teenage girl on boyfriend issues?
I don't know how old you are...unless your Mom or Dad are terrible people you can generally believe they are looking out for your best interest. There has to be some reason she is telling you this. What do you think about why she might be encouraging you to stay friends right now? I know I did encourage my daughter to stay friends with boys and stay casual up until she was past high school--She was driven to stay on the honor roll and in the National Honor Society and wanted to get into a good college and this was where she was wanting to stay focused...we talked and I told her if she got too deeply involved with a boyfriend it could cost her...of course, I went into more detail as to why and she agreed. She did not want to get into serious dating until later. Your Mom must have SOME reason for this...what did she say?


*Edit* I know the trend now is for people to date MUCH younger...but what are your personal goals? Where do you want life to take you? All too often I have seen young women start dating young and their goals get side tracked...and then too other issues happen too that can absolutely derail a young life that just don't need to happen..and it happens to the BEST of women. I think your Mom sounds like a wonderful Mother who is really thinking about your future..she knows you have great potential and she wants you to have the opportunity to live up to it. All of us know fully how powerful that instinct is to want to date and be with boys..WE KNOW!!!!! We remember OH so well!!!! You have so much to dream about, first things to look forward to that you will treasure forever and ever! Take your time! Make all of your choices with care and with the help of your Mom who cares SO much about your future! No one cares more about you right now than she does, I promise!As a parent, how would you advice a teenage girl on boyfriend issues?
Were you my daughter here's what I'd have to say. You gain nothing by having a boyfriend. You may not believe that and may well feel how grownup and mature you will be to have a guy in your life. But having a boyfriend will not make you mature nor wiser, nor more beautiful, nor more precious. The only way to mature is to get older and you'll do that with or without a boyfriend. You WILL, however, benefit from associating with a number of guys. You will develop a way of judging guys and their compatibility by knowing and socializing with several or many.


Oh, I would also tell you how important you are to me (as your father) how precious and how very beautiful you are.
ask her why not.... she cant say no without giving you a rational answer

No comments:

Post a Comment