Wednesday, August 11, 2010

How do I get a coworker to just SHUT UP?

I work with a girl who is constantly talking about her personal life. She's involved in a triangle right now where she is knowingly trying to a girls boyfriend. It's long and drawn out and I'm tired of sitting quietly and acting like it's no big deal when in actuality I think what she is doing is wrong. The one sided conversations go on for HOURS sometimes and I'm just SO tired of hearing about it.How do I get a coworker to just SHUT UP?
I'm not sure why you can not say to her what you just said here. Nicely or with a bit of attitude, but say it. You are at work and should not have to put up with that so you could talk to her boss if you can not address her face to face. But if you are not comfortable with that, I'd pretend to listen and every few seconds interrupt her with a ';stupid'; question that mixes up her storyline. She may just get annoyed enough to want to discuss her life with someone else.How do I get a coworker to just SHUT UP?
Assuming that you are her only audience, just say, ';I'd love to hear all about this later, but right now I have work to do.'; Then, turn back to your work. If she keeps talking, say it again and keep saying it. Over and over. For as long as it takes.
tell her u heard the boyfriend is a member of a gay motorcycle club
If you know the girl whose boyfriend the coworker is trying to get, tell her!!!! And if she doesn't believe you, tell her to catch them when they least expect it if they're in a room together and the coworker makes a move on the boyfriend.
Tie her up and put duck tape over her mouth :D
Punch her in the face and then sleep with her boyfriend
If you feel it's wrong, simply tell her. Diplomatically.





';_____ I understand you're going through a hard time, but honestly it seems you've brought this on yourself. I don't really feel I have any more practical suggestions for you, so why not share this with someone that's been in this situation.';





OR





';______ I personally feel what you're doing is wrong, and I would prefer not to be party to the tale.';





OR





';______ I feel uncomfortable with this level of detail into someone else's personal life, why don't we talk about something else.';





OR





';_______ I'm really busy right now and I don't want to get into trouble, I'll have to talk to you at another time.';
duct tape works remarkably well. that should get you an assault charge or fired and you won't have to listen to her anymore.





Or, you could get the other girl's boyfriend yourself and tell your coworker thanks for letting you know what a great catch he is. She won't talk to you anymore after that.
err tell her?
Me,outspoken person that I am....would just say





';ya Know....personally, I think it is wrong to take someone else's man and since it conflicts with my sense of right and wrong...perhaps, I am not the one to be telling this to';.





and then whirl around and start working.








if that doesn't work---put a little bit of water in her chair and then tell everyone the nasty ***** peed on herself.
Excuse me...HOURS??? you are all supposed to be working, not talking. Go directly to your manager and read him this question. This girl needs to learn an important lesson in life...stop stealing the boss's money and do the work she is being paid to do. You are aiding and abetting her in the crime, and it IS a crime. This is out and out theft. It is not your place to agree or disagree with her on your boss's time. OR, just tell her to shut up or YOU will report her. How in the hell can you do your work if you are being forced?? to listen to her nonsense. Now, get off Yahoo on your boss's time and get to work, or you just may loose your job also...they keep track of everything that goes on with your computer. Your computer records a history of everywhere you go on it. You are supposed to be working on your computer, not chatting while working. I AM a boss and I would fire you both if I found out about the drivel. IN A HEARTBEAT!
any chance you could avoid her? go and work at someone else's desk or just be HONEST, tell her you are not interested in her sad little life. Better still, put her email address on these pages and let some of the more opinionated gits on this site tell her for you!
threaten her..beat her up...put all of her office supplies in Jello...thats always funny..
You might try telling her you think she's wrong, and that you're never going to give her the kind of support she's obviously looking for---and then point out someone else in the office who will (pass her off!).
If that is the same type of person I have seen many times, ya might as well just face it. You are stuck. Even if you try to explain to her why you think it is wrong, she will just blink a few times and continue talking about it starting with ';yeah, but...';





My advice would be to just let her know that you don't want to hear it and avoid her as much as possible. But you can control what she tells you by listening or not listening. if you don't listen, she will mosey on and find someone that will.
Tell her that, while you enjoy the conversations immensely, you have to go feed the boss's yak. Every time she starts, go feed that yak. Yes, I know, your boss doesn't have a yak. She knows that, too. It's a way of saying - get a life! - without really saying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment